Kai Shi received his BSc degree (First Class Hons.) in optical information science and technology, and an MEng degree in optoelectronics information engineering, from the Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China, in 2006 and 2008 respectively.
He received his PhD degree from Dublin City University (DCU), Ireland, in 2012, and following this, worked as a Research Assistant at the Rince Institute, Dublin City University. His research at DCU involved the characterisation and application of wavelength-tunable lasers for dynamic optical networks. Since October 2012, he has been a Research Associate with the Optical Networks Group (ONG) at UCL.
Current Research Interests
- Technologies and systems required to exploit the spatial dimension of multimode optical fibre using coherent optical reception.
- R. Watts, K. Shi, Y. Yu, and L. Barry, "Detailed experimental phase noise characterization of Y-branch lasers for use in coherent communication systems," OFC 2013, paper JW2A.32.
- J. Zhao, K. Shi, Y. Yu, L. P. Barry, "Theoretical Analysis of Tunable Three-Section Slotted Fabry–Perot Lasers Based on Time-Domain Traveling-Wave Model," Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE Journal of , 19(5) pp.1503109,1503109, Sept.-Oct. 2013
- C. Browning, K. Shi, P. Anandarajah, R. Phelan, and L. Barry, "Direct Modulation of a Tuneable Slotted Fabry-Pérot Laser with Adaptive Modulation OFDM," ECOC 2012, paper P6.10.
- K. Shi, R. Watts, D. Reid, T.N. Huynh, C. Browning, P. M. Anandarajah, F. Smyth, L. P. Barry, "Dynamic Linewidth Measurement Method via an Optical Quadrature Front End," Photonics Technology Letters, IEEE, 23(21) pp.1591,1593, Nov.1, 2011
- K. Shi, F. Smyth, D. Reid, B. Roycroft, B. Corbett, F.H. Peters, L.P. Barry, "Characterization of a tunable three-section slotted Fabry–Perot laser for advanced modulation format optical transmission," Optics Communications, 284(6), 15 March 2011, Pages 1616-1621
- K. Shi, D. A. Reid, L. P. Barry, Y. Yu, F. Smyth, "Linewidth Calibration of SG-DBR Lasers," Photonics Technology Letters, IEEE, 22(23), pp.1729,1731, Dec.1, 2010
- K. Shi, F. Smyth, D. A. Reid, C. Browning, B. Roycroft, B. Corbett, F. H. Peters, L. P. Barry, "Fast Switching Slotted Fabry–Perot Laser for Phase Modulated Transmission Systems," Lightwave Technology, Journal of, 28(23), pp.3409,3416, Dec.1, 2010
- K. Shi, Y. Yu, R. Zhang, W. Liu, L. P. Barry, "Static and dynamic analysis of side-mode suppression of widely tunable sampled grating DBR (SG-DBR) lasers", Optics Communications, 282(1), 1 January 2009, Pages 81-87
Dr Shi is funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).