Our typical entry requirement for all degree courses is three A-Levels at AAA or A*AB including Maths, plus a pass in an additional AS-Level subject. Physics A-Level is preferable but not compulsory. You will also require GCSEs in English Language and Maths at grade C or above.
UK students should also have a GCSE in a foreign language at grade C or above. If you do not have this, on admission to UCL you would be required to acquire an equivalent level of language proficiency once you are enrolled with us. This will either be through participation in a UCL summer school or study for a specially designed UCL Language Centre certificate.
All applications are considered on individual merit, so the required A-Level grades may occasionally vary from those specified above.
GCE A level and Advanced Subsidiary Qualifications/Vocational A and AS Levels
One of the three GCE A levels may be substituted by a Vocational A level. The additional Advanced Subsidiary subject may be substituted by a Vocational AS level or the equivalent. Applicants will not normally be admitted solely on the basis of Vocational A/AS levels. AS level General Studies is not recognised for admissions purposes. A level General Studies is only acceptable as an alternative to the additional Advanced Subsidiary level subject that is normally required.
Students who have accepted a place at UCL and who subsequently decline any of their A or AS level results may render themselves ineligible to take up a place on a degree programme or, if they have already enrolled, liable for deregistration from UCL.
A range of other UK and international qualifications are recognised including:
- ACCESS courses (kite-marked)
- BTEC National Diploma and Certificate
- Higher National Diploma and Certificate
- International Baccalaureate
- Scottish Advanced Higher
- Australian school leaving certificates
- Canadian school leaving certificates
- Cypriot Apolytirion (when combined with GCE A levels)
- European Baccalaureate
- European school leaving certificates (for example French Baccalauréat, German Abitur)
- Greek National Apolytirion (when combined with GCE A levels)
- Hong Kong Advanced (HKALE) and Advanced Supplementary level
- University Preparatory Certificate for Science and Engineering
- Israeli Bagrut
- Malaysia Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan (STPM) (except Kertas Am)
- Singapore/Cambridge GCE Advanced level
- USA Advanced Placement (AP) examination
- USA high school graduation diploma plus one year at a recognised university.
If you are a ‘mature’ applicant (aged 21 or over at the start of your degree) and can provide evidence of competence in a relevant field of study, the requirement for formal qualifications may be substituted under certain circumstances by the setting of an entrance test or essay.
GCSE and Equivalent Qualifications
All programmes require GCSE or equivalent passes in English Language and Mathematics at grade C or higher. Some degree programmes require additional GCSE passes in specified subjects or higher grades than C in English Language and/or Mathematics, as outlined in the programme descriptions given in this Prospectus.
Qualifications accepted as GCSE equivalents include the following:
- IGCSE at grade C or higher
- O-level at grade C or higher
- Scottish Credit Standard Grade/Intermediate 2
- Hong Kong Certificate of Education (HKCEE) at grade C or higher
- IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) at grades 4 to 7
- Malaysia Sijil Pelajaran (SPM) at grades 1 to 6
- Singapore/Cambridge GCE Ordinary level at grades 1 to 6.
Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Tutor if you would like to find out if your qualifications will be acceptable.
Overseas students who wish to study at UCL
Students who are interested in the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) can access information at the ECTS page. Further information for overseas students can be found on the Overseas students at UCL web pages
For all enquiries:
+44 (0)20 7679 7306