Dr Karl Woodbridge's Home Page
Joined UCL in 1990 after 11 years working for Philips Electronics most recently as a project leader and Principal Research Scientist in the device research laboratories. Current UCL duties and interests are listed below.
Student related activities
These include course delivery at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Project supervision and assessment and tutorial duties. A summary of these activities is as follows:
o Course delivery: Teaching currently on the following courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level: Optoelectronics, Power Electronics, Radar Systems, Antenna and Propagation and Satellite Communications
o Project Supervision: Wide range of projects supervised at undergraduate and postgraduate level including work on satcom datalink and radar systems for civil and defence applications.
o Course Director for the MSc Communications Research
Research activitiesActivities include analysis of proposed technical programs, project proposal co-ordination, project planning and management. The latter includes staff recruitment, budget planning and management of teams from various agencies.
Radar/Sensor Systems Research Area
· Passive systems including wireless LAN detection and monitoring
· Intelligent Sensing including sensor networks
· Multistatic and MIMO radar for enhanced detection and identification capabilities
· Target classification methods
· Advanced waveform design and methods for detecting low visibility targets in clutter
· Radar resource management
· Civil radar applications including terrain monitoring systems
· Further hardware development of UCL netted and array systems
MBE Research Area
· III/V on Si for photonic devices
· Sb based devices for mid-infrared
· Quantum nanostructure growth
Chartered PhysicistFellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology
Fellow of the Institute of Physics
I currently hold a post as Visiting Professor in the Radar and Remote Sensing Group at the University of Cape Town.
Finally, for some light relief and in order to sneak in an interesting picture...I also hold a UK CAA Private Pilots Licence (Aeroplanes) mostly flying a Piper Archer 11 aircraft.